Monday 21 July 2014

Water Marble - first attempt...


So I finally got around to trying my hand at water marbling, I had a whole evening free last night and deemed it the perfect opportunity to give this fun (but time consuming) trick a go.

I've watched countless Youtube videos on this technique and, to be honest, when I first heard of it I wasn't at all into it, but it's definitely grown on me as you can probably tell!

For this water marble I went for a simple two colour look, using OPI's Charged Up Cherry and Barry M's Black. It's much easier to achieve a decent water marble if you use watery polishes so this was another reason that I chose these two colours - Black by Barry M is so watery that I don't bother painting my nails with it usually, it's just far too sheer, but for a water marble it worked really well.


 If you're not in-the-know about the water marbling technique, then I really recommend hitting up Youtube and finding some tutorials, you won't have any trouble finding them because there are enough tutorials on Youtube to last you a whole week.

The basic principle though is that you get a glass of room temperature water, add drops of polish to the water to get rings of colour, make a pattern in the water rings and then dip your nail in to the water - simple but oh so effective!

For a first attempt I must say that I'm really pleased with how these turned out, as you can see they're all very different, so if you're into consistency then this look probably isn't for you. 
The only thing I will say is this - these are super fun, creative and they look cool, but there's no way in hell they are worth the painstaking clean-up process; even using tape around my nails to minimize polish stains on my hand didn't save me from a session with the nail polish remover. Maybe I just need to get better at taping my nails...
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment