Wednesday 19 March 2014

Recent purchases - first thoughts and swatches


These are just a small selection of some new additions to my make up bag, I'm so bad! Anyway, I picked up the white pencil from Boots a few weeks ago, as they had a 3 for 2 on all cosmetics, so I essentially got it for free. It's the Collection Work The Colour Eyeshadow Pencil in Vanilla Sky, I'd originally picked up the brown one (Hot Chocolate) but they only had one of that colour left, and someone had jammed the lid ontop of the pencil, flattening it - so I was forced to grab a different colour, much to my dissapointment. A few weeks later I got my mitts on the Hot Chocolate shade from Superdrug though, so it's not all bad!

I'd had my eye on a Kiko eyeshadow pencil for quite some time, in a lovely shimmery bronzey brown colour, so when I saw that Collection had their own line in colours not at all dissimilar, I had to have one! I must say though, that I'm not terribly impressed with Collection's offering in this department.

Hot Chocolate and Vanilla Sky swatched
They're sold as velvety, blendable and waterproof - the waterproof claim is certainly not wrong, you can't get these bloody things off for love nor money! The colours are really lovely, nice and shimmery and the Vanilla Sky shade is a great champagne colour that works fantastically for the inner corners of your eyes, the Hot Chocolate shade working well for the outer corners. Alas, I'm afraid that's all the good I have to say about these crayons.

Vanilla Sky and Hot Chocolate blended
The supposed 'blendability' of these products is almost non existent, they 'set' far too quickly to enable you to decently blend them into your lids, unless you fancy rubbing your eyelids raw in an attempt to get a decent wash of colour. When swatched on the back of your hand, they blend just fine, but they certainly don't perform in the same manner on your eyelids. 

A purchase I am happy with, however, is Avon's Ultra Colour lipstick in the shade Blush Nude - I adore nude lipsticks and this one ticks all the boxes! 

Blush Nude blotted, no flash
It's a wonderfully wearable nude shade, with pink undertones, that suits my pale skin but would also work well on darker skin tones - it's pretty much an all rounder in the nude lippy department! Upon application it's very glossy, because it's so moisturising, but once blotted with tissue it dries to a satin finish that leaves the perfect wash of colour and feels comfortable. The picture above doesn't really do it much justice, but it gives a rough idea to the colouring, you can definitely see the pinky undertones to it. This has fast become my go-to lipstick and one that I'd certainly recommend! 

You can purchase Avon's Ultra Colour lipstick in an array of shades HERE, currently on offer for £4.00 
Collection's Work the Colour eyeshadow pencils can be bought for £3.19 HERE

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment