Monday 17 February 2014

Recent Brush Purchases


Both myself and my mum have become Avon addicts over the past couple of years, largely due to the fact that our most recent Avon rep is the only local one that has stuck with the job, and she's lovely so always posts a new catalogue through the door even if we haven't ordered for a while. I always get excited when a new catalogue comes through the letter box and tend to describe Avon as "like having Superdrug posted through your front door". 

Two things I've been in dire need of recently are a new face brush and a new eyebrow brush, so imagine my delight when I discovered Avon have brought out a new line of affordable brushes - most of which are still currently on offer. My old face brush has always been quite scratchy so I was after a nice soft one to dust on my powder with, admittedly, what drew me to these brushes were that they looked so...chic? Can you get chic brushes? Well, either way, I liked the way they looked! 



But how do they perform? First up, I'll discuss the 'all over face brush' which I believe is intended for dusting on bronzing pearls, but I use it strictly for all over powder application.

I was looking for a soft brush and boy did I get one! This brush is super soft, so much so that I'd quite happily sit and just brush my face with it for no good reason...weird? Applying my powder is a dream, I no longer get stiff bristles poking my face and making me itch while applying my make up and, despite it being very soft, it picks up plenty of product - more so than my previous brush. It has taken a bit of getting used to though, as you have to work harder to blend the powder in with it, but this minor extension of effort is really nothing when you consider how nice the brush feels against your skin. Again, I've gotta mention my sensitive skin and how a brush this soft is just perfect, because I find with stiffer bristles they can sometimes 'stab' or prickle my skin and leave a slight bump - that hasn't happened with this brush. The design of the brush is great too, it's weighted really well so you don't have to grip the brush too hard and the large brush head makes swirling and dusting easy as pie: 10/10 for Avon's all over face brush!

Sadly, I can't rave about my second brush purchase, bought with the intention of filling in my brows with powder. It's actually sold as an eyeliner brush, but I can't say it really works well for that purpose either; while I loved the softness of the bristles for the powder brush, for eyeliner application, they're just too soft. Putting on gel based eye liners calls for the brush to be stiff enough to give a precise line, but the bristles in the Avon eyeliner brush bend on contact with your face. Don't get me wrong, you can still fill in your brows with this brush, it's just very hard to achieve the all important precision that's needed. The shape of the brush head is also more rounded than it appears in the brochure pictures, so it's a real shame, but I'm still on the hunt for a decent brow brush! I can't complain too much though, as it only set me back about £2.50 and it's adequate enough to continue using for now, in combination with my old brush, throw recommendations my way if you know of any affordable brushes that can be used to fill in brows well! 






2 comments:

  1. I've never tried Avon brushes before but they looks so soft! Might have to give them a go
    xx

    Salted Roses // Fashion & Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely do! They're such good value, it'd be a crime not to! xo

    ReplyDelete