Wednesday 19 February 2014

My top 3 'beauty sins'...

I'm sure I'm not alone in having a few nasty habits that wreak havoc on my appearance; as humans we all have little 'vices' that are less than desirable yet almost impossible to give up and I thought this would make an interesting post, so here are my top three -

  1. Smoking - it goes without saying that this is predominantly a 'health sin' and if you need a reason to never begin smoking, or to give up, then the devastating impact it can have on your health should take #1 priority, always. Having said that, cigarettes also have hideous effects on your physical appearance if you keep up the habit for long enough - think wrinkles, yellow fingers/fingernails, thin lips, etc, etc, beautiful, huh? Nope. I started smoking when I was 14 and, as a naive teenager, told myself that I wouldn't allow myself to get addicted but, 6 years on, and here I am having still tried and failed many times to kick the habit. I truly wish I'd never started. 
  2. Wolf biting - "what?" I hear you say, allow me to explain; dermatophagia, commonly called 'wolf biting' for reasons that are beyond me, is basically biting your own skin, gross, I know. The most common places for people to 'wolf bite' are the skin around their nails, the inside of their lips or cheeks and, in some cases, the skin on the joints of their hands. I'm always receiving compliments on my nails, which if I may say so myself are usually in perfect condition, but sadly the bitten skin around them really lets my nails down. I'd never bite my nails, I hate nail biting, but I'm always subconsciously biting the skin around them and 99% of the time I honestly don't even know I'm doing it! It's pretty grim, but it's not half as bad as it could be, the skin has usually healed within 24 hours so I'm most certainly not leaving myself with permanent scars, thankfully! 
  3. Being a night owl - if it weren't for concealer, this one wouldn't even need a mention, I'm always having to conceal dark shadows under my eyes because I simply don't allow myself to get enough sleep. This one really isn't my fault though; I can't help it that Girls, Weeds, Devious Maids and Orange Is The New Black are so damned addictive, I don't mean to stay up until the early hours watching a whole season every night, promise...
So, those are my top sins, all of which I should probably dedicate more time to removing from my life, starting with all important No 1 - do you have any 'beauty sins' that you really want to boot out the door?

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment