Monday 13 January 2014

Problem skin? Surgical Spirit!

Allow me to introduce you to my go-to spot treatment - Surgical Spirit.

Image Credit -
Phoebe Fuller (Me)
"But, you put that on your face?!" Shock, horror! I know the vast majority of you must think I've lost the plot but, yes, I put this stuff on my face. Commonly used by Ballet Dancers to harden the skin on their feet, this stuff is also a fantastic treatment for one of lives minor pains - spots. And, while it may seem crazy considering this stuff is essentially 100% pure alcohol (well, 95% to be precise) it doesn't half get the job done!

What you may be interested to know is that Surgical Spirit is an antiseptic and, although most bottles will advise it's use for bedsores and not as a skincare treatment, it really works wonders for clearing up the odd pimple. You know when you get an injection at the doctors and they disinfect the area of injection first with a little swab? It's this stuff that they use, it kills bacteria in a heartbeat, so it's hardly a surprise that it should act as the ultimate spot-killer.

Not only is it an antiseptic, but the large concentration of alcohol in Surgical Spirit will also completely dry out a spot; the same result you'd get from using toothpaste as a spot treatment.

I'm obviously not recommending that you splash this stuff on your face as an all-over treatment, but soaking a cotton bud or a cotton pad with it and dabbing it on a localized area is the way I use it and I'm yet to find anything that works as well. Tea tree spot and blemish sticks are a waste of money as far as I'm concerned, and in my experience Surgical Spirit is a far cheaper, longer lasting and genuinely effective treatment.

On a side note - If you've read any of my other blog posts, you'll know I have hypersensitive skin, yet this method doesn't upset it. The reason for this is that (provided it's just the one spot you're treating) it's going to be applied to such a small (already inflamed) area. So don't be afraid to give it a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment